The Richard Ginori brand originated from Doccia Porcelain of Florence, which was founded in 1735 by Marchese Carlo Ginori. He was motivated by his interest in the production of “white gold” which is how porcelain was known during that time. When he died in 1757, his work was continued by his sons (Bartolomeo, Francesco, Lorenzo, and Niccolò) who introduced a new, whiter body glazed for increased whiteness compared to their father’s original grayish and less glossy works.
The company became known as Richard Ginori after its merger with Societa Ceramica Richard of Milan in 1896. Recognized as the “Ferrari” of porcelain, it was acquired by known Italian fashion brand Gucci in April 2013 thus preserving its Italian lineage. Currently, the original Florence factory is still under operation totaling 280 years of skillful handiwork, the mark of true Italian craftsmanship.