Pickard was established in Edgerton, Wisconsin by Wilder Pickard back in 1893. At the turn of the century, it was moved to Chicago where the company specialized in hand-painted art pieces and dessert and tea sets created by artists from no less than the famed Art Institute of Chicago as well as artists from all over Europe who flew to Chicago just to paint on these imported ceramic pieces.
In the late 1920s, under the leadership of Wilder’s son Austin, the company began producing its own fine china dinnerware and also moved to Antioch, Illinois which remains to be the company’s headquarters up to now.
More than a century old, Pickard represents four generations of traditional artistry and craftsmanship. The company is a recipient of numerous awards. Product quality remains to be the company’s biggest asset with each piece passing through a minimum of 21 stages and three 100% inspections, and is handled by Pickard employees averaging 18 years on the job.
Pickard has the prestige of being selected by the U.S. Department of State as the official china service used by embassies and other diplomatic missions around the world. Pickard has also been commissioned to produce custom china for Air Force One, Blair House, and Camp David (President Roosevelt’s retreat). Pickard China has over the years been selected to produce exclusive fine china services for heads of state and many prestigious hotels, restaurants and corporations. The King of Saudi Arabia, Hilton, Sheraton, and Marriott hotels, General Motors, the U.S. Air Force and the Queen of England are among a few who have chosen Pickard for their finest dining.